Brother printers are well-known for their high-quality output and reliability. Over the years, Brother has launched a variety of models that offer an incredible range of features. It doesn’t matter which Brother Printer model you have, there is one common error: Brother Printer shows offline. The Brother Printer will stop printing when the printer is offline. This guide will provide useful information about the “Brother Printer Is Offline” error if you’re sailing in the same boat.
Brother Printers are available for offline use on both Windows devices and Mac. This guide will discuss how to fix an offline error on Mac devices.
Let’s begin with the most important question, i.e.
Why Brother Printers Are Offline?
These are some possible reasons why a Brother Printer might go offline.
- The printer is not receiving sufficient power and is not on.
- Check your printer for common printing errors.
- The wireless Brother printer does not have a connection to a network.
- The firmware for your Brother Printer is not up-to-date.
- You cannot print from the printer that you want to use because it has not been set to default.
- The status of the printer has been changed to offline
- An incorrect driver has been installed.
How to Fix the ‘Brother Printer Says Offline’ Problem on Mac
Here are the steps to take if your Brother printer goes offline.
Step-1 Check that the Brother Printer is on and for errors
Before you start with more detailed troubleshooting, make sure that the printer is turned on correctly and there are no errors. Check the screen of your Brother Printer. LCD. If the screen is blank, it means that the printer is off. Turn it on, or wake it from sleep mode. Make sure that the socket works properly and that the switch is on.
After the LCD has turned on, look for error messages such as “Paper Jam” or “Ink Cartridge” empty. If this is the case you will need to correct it immediately.
Step-2 Verify that the Brother Printer is connected to your Mac
The next step is to make sure your Brother printer is connect to your Mac using these tips:
- The USB cable connection must be correctly and directly connected to the printer and computer.
- An Ethernet connection requires that the cable be connect to the printer and router at the same time. You can check the IP address on a network configuration page.
- You can print a network configuration page to check your IP address for wireless connections.
This is how to connect a Brother printer with a Mac. You can then bring it online.
Step-3: Check the Brother Printer Status
Sometimes, your Brother printer status may have been change to “Pause” and the printer will not show up on Mac. Here’s how to get your printer back online if it went offline while printing or went to sleep.
- Click on the icon of your Brother printer
- Next, click on the option for “Open Print Queue”.
- Check the status of your printer in the menu bar at the top.
- To continue printing, click on the “Resume” button.
Step-4 Check if you have the right Brother Printer Driver installed
Drivers are essential for printers to function smoothly. Even if your printer is a well-known brand like Brother, it is important to make sure you have the correct driver installed for it so it doesn’t go offline on your Mac.
These are the steps:
- Open the Apple menu, click on System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Lasers.
- Next, choose your Brother printer from the Printers section.
- You will now need to verify the printer driver by looking at the information next to “Kind”.
If you have selected AirPrint as your printer driver, follow these steps to add the CUPS Driver to Mac.
- Open the Apple menu and click on System Preferences. Next, click on Print & Sca or Printers & Lasers.
- Next, click on the “Add” (+).
- Click on the default icon at the top of your dialog box.
- Next, choose your Brother printer from this list.
- You should also ensure that the Use List contains ‘XXXXXXX + CUPS’, where XXXXXXX identifies the model name.
- Click on it again to add, and your printer will be display in the Printers section.
- You can now exit the Apple Menu by clicking on the ‘Quit System Settings’ button.
You need to troubleshoot separate issues if you get the ‘Brother Printer driver is an unavailable error.
Step-5 Check That Your Brother Printer Is Set As The Default
If you want your Brother printer to print and stay online, it must be set to default. Sometimes, more than one printer device can be connect to your Mac. This makes it difficult to choose one as default. That is why brother printer is always offline. If your Brother printer is no longer in the default position, follow these steps to restore it.
- First, click on the Apple Menu button. Next, select System and Preferences.
- Click on the ‘Print’ button and then click on the Fax or Print command, and Scanners’.
- Select your Brother printer from the drop-down menu.
Step-6 Delete All Print Jobs
You can then try to delete all print jobs and bring your Brother Printer online. Here’s how it works:
- Click on System and Preferences in the Apple menu.
- Click on the “Scan and print” option to select your Brother printer.
- Next, click the button for “Open Print Queue” to remove the printing job once you have selected them.
Step-7 – Update the Brother Printer Driver
You must ensure that your Brother printer is running smoothly by updating the driver frequently. This will fix any printing problems with your Brother device, as well as the offline error. Here’s how to update your Brother Printer driver.
- Navigate to the Brother Printer Driver Download Page.
- Find your Brother Printer model, and click on it.
- After choosing the model, you’ll be ask to choose your operating system. You will be ask to select your operating system, i.e. Mac, and the version that you have.
- After selecting your operating system, version, and other options, you’ll be present with all drivers and software packages for your printer. Also included are the release date and the printer’s size.
- Simply click on the link to download the driver and follow the instructions.
- After the drive has been download, click the file to open it and follow the steps to install it on your Mac.
Step-8 Removing and re-adding your Brother Printer
You can then get your Brother printer online by removing it from your Mac and re-adding it. Follow these instructions to do this:
- Click on System Preferences to choose the Brother printer.
- To remove it, move to the bottom of your list and click the (-).
- After waiting for a few seconds, click the (+) button to connect your Brother printer with Mac. Try printing and check if the printer appears online
Step-9 Reset Mac Printing System
If that fails, you can reset your Mac operating system. This will allow you to make any necessary changes to the printing settings. These steps will reset your Mac system.
- Open System Preferences, then open the “Printer and scanner” option.
- The left-side window shows the name list of the printer.
- Right-click in the left panel and choose the option “Reset Printing Systems”.
- You will lose all the drivers and printers that were install on your Mac device.
- You can now reinstall your Brother printer as described above, and you can start printing.